Latest Community

Winter squash adds flavor and nutrition to pasta dish

By Melissa Horton   Butternut squash doesn’t look like much from the outside. Oddly shaped and rather dull in color, its outer appearance hides the flavorful bounty inside. Once ...

From the Archives

100 years ago Beverlys here next week — Friday, November 12, 1915 The Beverly entertainers, who make their appearance here Thursday evening November 18 in the initial number of the ...

Traditional comfort food stars in a tasty meal

By Melissa Horton   I’ve always been a sucker for a classic, traditional supper dish. You know the kind; hearty, savory, stick-to-your ribs kind of meals that Grandma might have ...

Criminal justice costs fuel county executive race

Louws defends new jail effort, Gilfilen stands firmly opposed By Calvin Bratt [email protected]   BELLINGHAM — The high cost of the criminal justice system is an urgent ...

Make-one-freeze-one recipe helps busy cooks

By Melissa Horton   I really like the idea of freezer cooking. How wonderful to be able to go to the freezer, pull out a meal, and simply warm it up. What an easy way to serve a ...

Pumpkin recipes satisfy your sweet tooth, boost nutrition

by Melissa Horton   Did you know pumpkin is truly one of the “super foods” we keep hearing about in the news? According to the USDA, this fall favorite is not only full of fiber ...

New Boys & Girls Club event gets competitive

Cornhole Tournament and Chili Cook-off on Oct. 24 aim to capture Ferndale’s spirit while raising funds for local club By Brent Lindquist [email protected] FERNDALE — The Boys ...

United Church of Ferndale plans ‘Mutt Strut’ for early October

Event held in memory of Shane Ormiston, killed in June crash FERNDALE — The first annual “Mutt Strut” dog walk is set for Sunday, Oct. 4, in memory of Shane Ormiston, one of the ...

A warm bowl of soup to chase the chill away

  I don’t know if you’ve noticed lately, or if you’re like me and trying desperately not to notice, but it’s getting chilly out there in the evenings, folks! And not only ...

Local quilt raises seed money for 2019 Seattle event

Two women’s work boosts deaf seniors’ cause By Calvin Bratt [email protected]   LYNDEN ­— The presentation of a “Feathers” quilt to Clara Zoet at the Lynden Community ...