Latest Community

Public Meetings — Jan. 3, 2018

Thursday, Jan. 4 • Whatcom County Council, special meeting to finalize a process for appointing a new member to At-Large Position B on Jan. 9, council chambers, County Courthouse, ...

Calendar – Week of Jan. 3, 2018

Ongoing Noon music The Jansen Art Center, 321 Front St., hosts free live noon-hour entertainment on Wednesdays in the Piano Lounge. It’s Sylvia Bos on Jan. 3 and Meg Kreig on Jan. ...

Calendar – Week of Dec. 27

Ongoing January Series The award-winning January Series from Calvin College is simulcast Jan. 3-23 to Lynden’s Third Christian Reformed Church basement (off Sixth at Liberty). Free ...

FHS Lummi language students lend voices to exhibit

‘People of the Sea and Cedar’ exhibit now open for tours at Whatcom Museum By Brent Lindquist [email protected] WHATCOM — “Xwot’qom” is a Lummi word meaning “noisy ...

Calendar – Week of Dec. 6

Ongoing Arts festival The annual Holiday Festival of Allied Arts of Whatcom County continues through Dec. 24 at 4145 Meridian St., Bellingham. See the affordable work of over 100 artisans, ...

Calendar – Week of Nov. 22

Ongoing Noon music The Jansen Art Center, 321 Front St., hosts free live noon-hour entertainment on Wednesdays in the Piano Lounge. It’s Nell Veenstra on Nov. 22 and Meg Krieg on ...

Calendar – Week of Nov. 15

Ongoing Noon music The Jansen Art Center, 321 Front St., hosts free live noon-hour entertainment on Wednesdays in the Piano Lounge. It’s Linda Roorda on Nov. 15, Nell Veenstra on ...

Letters to the Editor — Nov. 15, 2017

How will city keep population safe? As I drive around Lynden I am constantly amazed by all the new streets being paved and new housing popping up all over the place. The population ...

Letters to the Editor — Oct. 18, 2017

Voting no on jail tax I do not believe we need a new jail and will not be voting for the new jail tax that will be on the ballot. There was a jail tax approved in 2004 and $31.7 million ...

Need for new jail is unavoidable

By Bill Elfo Whatcom County Sheriff Over the past 20 years, multiple citizen panels, task forces, engineers, professional jail planners and the U.S. Department of Justice have stressed ...